Chief, Takako Umeda
Chief of PET center, Yoko Sato
Nuclear medicine plays an important role in the clinic, both diagnosis and treatment. In addition to the conventional nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography is available in a PET Center, located right next to the main hospital. For the future, I anticipate that nuclear medicine makes more impact on the clinic and the research.
Blood flow analysis for the brain
We collaborate with neurosurgeons, neurologists, and psychiatrists for the blood flow analysis in the brain using various radioisotopes, including QSPECT method with 123I-IMP, 3D-SSP analysis, eZIS analysis with 99mTc-ECD, and Dat scan with I-ioflupane.
131I treatment has been performed for over 3 decades in our department. Treatment effect and survival are now under studied. The relationship between the uptake in 123I scintigraphy and treatment effect by 131I is interesting topic. Recently, we have started using 89Sr and 223Ra for the treatment of bone metastases.
Positron emission tomography (PET)
FDG uptake in a tumor/tissue on PET can be a good biomarker to indicate patients’ outcome. We have been studying the usefulness/efficacy of PET in the clinics. Especially, in the patients who underwent stereotactic body radiotherapy for lung cancers.
- Satoh Y, Motosugi U, Nambu A, Saito A, Onishi H：Prognostic Value of Semiautomatic CT Volumetry in Patients With Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Treated With Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. J Comput Assist Tomogr, 40 (3): 343-50. 2016. PubMed »
- Satoh Y, Koizumi K, Nambu A, Araki T：A Case of Massive Bone Metastases From Lung Cancer Detected Only by 18F-FDG PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med, 40 (8): e411-4. 2015. PubMed»
- Satoh Y, Onishi H, Nambu A, Araki T：Volume-based parameters measured by using FDG PET/CT in patients with stage I NSCLC treated with stereotactic body radiation therapy: prognostic value. Radiology, 270 (1): 275-81. 2014. PubMed »
- Satoh Y, Nambu A, Ichikawa T, Onishi H：Whole-body total lesion glycolysis measured on fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography as a prognostic variable in metastatic breast cancer. BMC Cancer, 14: 525. 2014. PubMed »
- Satoh Y, Nambu A, Onishi H, Sawada E, Tominaga L, Kuriyama K, Komiyama T, Marino K, Aoki S, Araya M, Saito R, Maehata Y, Oguri M, Araki T：Value of dual time point F-18 FDG-PET/CT imaging for the evaluation of prognosis and risk factors for recurrence in patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer treated with stereotactic body radiation therapy. Eur J Radiol, 81 (11): 3530-4. 2012. PubMed »
- Satoh Y, Ichikawa T, Motosugi U, Kimura K, Sou H, Sano K, Araki T：Diagnosis of peritoneal dissemination: comparison of 18F-FDG PET/CT, diffusion-weighted MRI, and contrast-enhanced MDCT. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 196 (2): 447-53. 2011. PubMed »